I have the privilege to travel a lot and too meat different people from different countries and different occupations in life. Last few years the most common answer when you ask Have are you? Is “Ohhh I am so busy, I have to work a lot, and I miss the old days? And so on.
But being busy does not mean being productive. There is a principle known as Pareto principle. The 80: 20 rule. That means that all results that we produce in day, 80 % of are generated by 20 % of our effort, and the remaining 80 % of effort gives only 20 % result.
There is a big question that I ask myself every day have to generate more than 20 % results from 80 % of efforts? Hm good question a, special for those who do different things and have to manage time efficiency day by day. You can apply Pareto principle in almost everything, either this is personal efficiency or business management, customer relationship, sales, costs.
I think we all want to do more in one day as we do. Time management helps us to become more efficient and also balance our life. We are able to achieve goals and have less stress. When we have control in life we feel more confident and empowered. We need to concentrate on RESULT not on being BUSY. If you adapt this goal than you will be able to see witch activities are important and not important, witch activities are contributing to your efficiency and witch not. Where you waste time on making your goals become true.
First you need to look into what is important for you : work, family, personal development, health , reading books, helping kids, sleeping, eating, friends,
Than you need to do activity report ; take a week and write have much time you spend for each of your activity, and what priority this activity has (Low, Medium or High) In 1 – 2 weeks you will be able to have a clear vision of your most important goals (goals for each part of your life) and you can than divide time that you want to spend for each goal. You should use the activity log for each day, written activity and the result so that at the end of day you can do summery about what you did. We are motivated by reward that is a result of completing activity. You need to be honest, accurate, and watch on priority –not everything has HIGH priority. Set up clear goals – that means that the goal is S.M.A.R.T
S – SPECIFIC
T – HAS TIME FRAME
The 80:20 rule can be applied everywhere. Either you are a mum taking care of your children, a coach, Spinning® instructor , owner of facility , or a manager …
- 80% of your profits come from 20% of your customers
- 80% of your complaints come from 20% of your customers
- 80% of your profits come from 20% of the time you spend
- 80% of your sales come from 20% of your products
- 80% of your sales are made by 20% of your sales staff
Just a though so that we can make our lives better.
“Waste your money and you're only out of money, but waste your time and you've lost a part of your life. “ Michael LeBoeuf