on all Spinner® Bike Orders (See Details)
Compare Spinner® Bikes
Endurox R4®: All Natural Muscle Recovery Drink
Endurox R4 is the only recovery drink with the 4:1 carb to protein ratio, and is proven to reduce muscle damage and increase both muscle function and endurance in a subsequent workout. All Natural Endurox R4 still contains its patented 4:1 ratio of carbs to protein, but now includes both whey and soy protein, which enhances the overall effectiveness of our protein-powered recovery drink. 14 servings.
About Endurox R4
Over 15 peer-reviewed studies show that compared to a conventional recovery drink, Endurox R4:
• Increases glycogen replenishment by 200%
• Decreases muscle damage by 50% • Increases protein synthesis by 400%
• Extends endurance by 55% in a subsequent workout.
The important discovery that led to the development of Endurox R4 was the identification of the recovery window, the 45-minute interval following exercise. During this time, cellular processes involved in replenishing and rebuilding the muscle cells are activated. When the right combination of nutrients is provided during this critical time interval there is an enormous enhancement in muscle recovery. With Endurox R4 you recover faster, recover better and come back stronger.
Available in Chocolate, Fruit Punch, Lemon Lime and Tangy Orange.
The Science Behind Endurox R4
The important discovery that led to the development of Endurox R4 was the identification of the recovery window, the 45-minute interval following exercise. During this time, cellular processes involved in replenishing and rebuilding the muscle cells are activated. When the right combination of nutrients is provided during this critical time interval there is an enormous enhancement in muscle recovery.
Endurox R4 was uniquely formulated to ensure that all of the recovery processes functioned at optimal efficiency. The key was the combination of carbs and protein in a 4:1 ratio. This ratio greatly stimulated the metabolic pathways so critical for recovery. For example, researchers noted that Endurox R4 increased muscle protein synthesis more effectively than a protein beverage. The reason being there are multiple pathways involved in protein synthesis. A protein drink only stimulates one pathway, whereas a carb/protein drink stimulates two.
Similarly, because Endurox R4 contains three rapid-acting carbohydrates, researchers have shown it increases glycogen replenishment by over 200% compared to a carb-only beverage. Multiple carbohydrates activate multiple transport and metabolic pathways leading to enhanced glycogen synthesis.
However, for many athletes one of the most important benefits of using Endurox R4 is it reduces muscle damage and muscle pain. Compared to a carb-only drink, Endurox R4 reduces short-term muscle damage by 42% and longer-term damage by 47%. Not surprising, reductions in muscle damage translated into a 40% increase in endurance 16 hours later and a 14% increase in muscle function 24 hours later.
1. Effects of Recovery Beverages on Glycogen Restoration and Endurance Exercise Performance: Williams MB, Raven PB, Fogt DL, Ivy JL. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research. 17:12-19, 2003.
This study determined that "The rate of [post-exercise] recovery is coupled with the rate of muscle glycogen replenishment," and that "recovery supplements should be consumed to optimize muscle glycogen synthesis as well as fluid replacement." Eight endurance trained cyclists performed two trials consisting of a 2-hour glycogen depletion ride followed by an exhaustive ride at high intensity. Subjects received either a carb-protein beverage (Endurox R4) or a carb-only sports drink immediately and 2 hours post-exercise. Post-exercise ingestion of carb-protein beverage (Endurox R4), in comparison to the carb-only beverage, resulted in a 55% greater time to exhaustion during a subsequent exercise bout at 85% VO2max. Ingestion of the carb-protein beverage resulted in a 17% greater plasma glucose response, a 92% greater insulin response and a 128% greater storage of muscle glycogen compared to the carb-only beverage.
2. Effects of Recovery Drinks After Prolonged Glycogen-Depletion Exercise: Williams MJ, Ivy JL, Raven PB. Medicine & Science in Sports and Exercise. 31(5):S124, 1999.
This study found that "recovery from glycogen-depleting exercise was significantly enhanced by [Endurox R4] Recovery Drink when compared to Gatorade. In addition, [Endurox R4] Recovery Drink decreased the formation of final oxidation products, when compared to Gatorade." Eight male cyclists performed a two-hour cycling exercise bout followed by one to three 5-minute sprints. A four-hour recovery period ensued in which the subjects were given 24 ounces of either Endurox R4 or Gatorade. A performance test to exhaustion was then conducted. The recovery phase showed significant increases in both plasma glucose and insulin following Endurox R4 ingestion as compared to Gatorade. There was an average 66% increase in time to exhaustion during the performance ride following Endurox R4 ingestion compared to Gatorade. Final oxidation products following Endurox R4 ingestion were significantly decreased as compared to Gatorade ingestion.
3. The Effect of Two Sports Drink Formulations on Muscle Stress and Performance: Ready SL, Seifert JG, Burke E. Medicine & Science in Sports and Exercise. 31(5):S119, 1999.
This study demonstrated that "A [carb-protein supplement], by providing additional [carbohydrate] and amino acids, may reduce postexercise muscle stress, as evidenced by a 36% decrease in 24-hour [creatine kinase] levels. Ten college-age males and females completed a 45-minute run, rested in a 10-minute transition, cycled for 90 minutes, and then performed a time trial (TT). During the transition and 30 minutes into the bike segment, subjects ingested either a 15% carb-protein beverage (Endurox R4) or a carb-only beverage.. Blood samples were collected and analyzed for creatine kinase (a biomarker of muscle damage), lactic acid and glucose. There was a 36% reduction for the 24-hour post-exercise creatine kinase level in the carb-protein treatment.
4. Effects of Post Exercise Carbohydrate-Protein Supplement on Skeletal Muscle Glycogen Storage, Fogt DL, Ivy JL. Medicine & Science in Sports and Exercise. 32(5):S60, 2000.
This study showed that "The greater rate of recovery following glycogen-depleting exercise during the [carb-protein] treatment shown [in previous studies] was likely due to a greater glycogen restoration." Eight endurance-trained cyclists performed two trials consisting of a 2-hour glycogen depletion ride followed by ingestion of 12 oz of a carb-protein supplement (Endurox R4) or a carbohydrate supplement immediately and 2 hours post-exercise. Trials were randomized and separated by 7 days. Blood samples were collected prior to exercise and throughout the 4-hour post-exercise recovery period. Muscle biopsies were taken immediately after and 4 hours postexercise for determination of muscle glycogen content. Ingestion of the carb-protein supplement resulted in a 17% greater plasma glucose response, a 92% greater insulin response, and a 128% greater storage of muscle glycogen compared to the carb-only supplement.
5. Carbohydrate Protein Complex Increases the Rate of Muscle Glycogen Storage After Exercise, Zawadzki KM , Yaspelkis BB,Ivy JL. Journal of Applied Physiology. 72:1854-1859, 1992.
This study found that "post-exercise muscle glycogen storage can be enhanced with a carbohydrate-protein supplement as a result of the interaction of carbohydrate and protein on insulin secretion." Nine men cycled for two hours on three occasions to deplete their muscle glycogen. After each workout they drank a carbohydrate, protein, or carb-protein supplement. The rate of muscle glycogen replenishment in the carbohydrate-protein treatment was 38% greater than in the carbohydrate treatment and more than three times greater than in the protein treatment.
6. Carbohydrate-Protein Drink Improves Time to Exhaustion After Recovery From Endurance Exercise, Niles ES, Lachowetz T, Garfi J, Sullivan W, Smith JC, Leyh BP, Headley SA. Journal of Exercise Physiology Online. 4:45-52, 2001.
This study demonstrated that "a [carb-protein] drink following glycogen depleting exercise may facilitate a greater rate of muscle glycogen resynthesis than a [carbohydrate-]only beverage, hasten the recovery process, and improve exercise endurance during a second bout of exercise performed on the same day." Ten male athletes completed a long workout on stationary bikes, then drank either a carb-protein sports drink (Endurox R4) or a carb-only sports drink. After a two-hour rest the subjects completed an endurance bout to exhaustion. The athletes went 20% longer with the carb-protein sports drink than with the carb-only sports drink.
7. Early Post Exercise Muscle Glycogen Recovery is Enhanced with a Carbohydrate-Protein Supplement, Ivy JL, Goforth HW Jr, Damon BM, McCauley TR, Parsons EC, Price TB. Journal of Applied Physiology. 93: 1337-1344, 2002.
This study showed that "a [carb-protein] supplement is more effective for the rapid replenishment of muscle glycogen after exercise than a [carb-only] supplement of equal [carbohydrate] or caloric content." Subjects completed a very long workout on stationary bikes and then drank either a carb-protein sports drink (Endurox R4) or a carb-only sports drink of equal calories. Four hours later, muscle glycogen was significantly greater in those given the carb-protein sports drink.
8. Post Exercise Protein Intake Enhances Whole-Body and Leg Protein Accretion in Humans: Levenhagen, DK, Carr C, Carlson MG. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise. 34: 828-837, 2002.
This study found that post-exercise consumption of a carbohydrate-protein supplement increased protein synthesis in exercised muscles and throughout the body compared to a carb-only supplement and placebo. Five men and five women completed a one-hour stationary bicycle ride. Upon completion of the workout, subjects were randomly given either the placebo, the carb-only supplement, or the carb-protein supplement. The test was repeated until all subjects had received all three treatments. The carb-protein supplement increased plasma essential amino acids 33%, leg uptake of glucose 3.5-fold, and leg and whole-body protein synthesis 6-fold and 15%, respectively. Whereas post-exercise intake of either placebo or the carb-only supplement resulted in a net leg release of essential amino acids and net loss of whole-body and leg protein, the carb-protein supplement resulted in a net leg uptake of essential amino acids and net whole-body and leg protein gain.
9. Effect of an Isocaloric Carbohydrate Protein Antioxidant Drink on Cycling Performance
10. Postexercise Protein Supplementation Improves Health and Muscle Soreness during Basic Military Training in Marine Recruits
|Guide to ride and 4 instructional Spinning® DVDs||•||•||•||•||•||•||•|
|One-motion emergency stop feature||•||•||•||•||•||•||•|
|Patented Spinning® loop handlebar||•||•||•||•||•||•||•|
|Molded contoured fender sweat guards||•||•||•||•||•||•|
|Stainless steel attachment hardware||•||•||•||•|
|5 degree rise ergo bars||•||•||•||•|
|Ovalized vertical slider tubes for seat and bars||•||•||•||•|
|Sweat resistant full size oval tube frame||•||•||•|
|43 lb smooth section chrome plated flywheel||•||•||•|
|Commercial spec heavy duty bottom bracket||•||•||•|
|Oversized commercial spec cast steel crankset||•||•||•|
|Road bike feel with Q-factor of 156mm||•||•||•|
|2 stage clear coat silver powder coated frame||•||•||•|
|Co-molded rubber resistance knob||•||•||•|
|Co-molded rubber adjustment knobs||•||•||•|
|Handlebar with integral water bottle holders||•||•||•|
|Weight limit 350 lb||•||•||•|
|Dual-sided SPD®-compatiable heavy duty pedals||•||•|
|Micro adjust multi-position slim steel seatpost||•||•|
|Fore-aft micro adjustable handlebars||•|
|Standard toe clip and strap pedals||•||•||•||•||•|
|31 lb chrome plated flywheel||•||•||•||•|
|Weight limit 250 lb||•||•||•||•|
|Standard cast steel crankset||•||•||•||•|
|Metallic silver powder coated frame||•||•||•|
|Sweat resistant oval tube compact geometry frame||•|
|Oval and square tube mix compact geometry frame||•|
|Square tube compact geometry frame||•||•|
- Applies to Spinner® bikes only. Additional shipping charges will be added if your order contains ineligible items.
- Applies to delivery within the Continental U.S. only.
- Additional charges apply to shipments outside the Continental U.S. including Hawaii and Alaska. A customer service representative will contact you with the associated fees.
- Applies to curbside delivery only. Inside delivery of your Spinner® bike is subject to additional charges. For further assistance, please call Customer Service at 1.800.847.7746.
- Does not apply to APO/FPO addresses.
- Weekend delivery cannot be requested.
- Free Shipping applies to a maximum purchase of two Spinner® bikes.
- We reserve the right to change or discontinue Free Shipping on Spinner® bikes at any time.